Keep Things Cool This Summer
Yes, it is getting even closer to summertime, and we have already had the weather to prove it (and the sunburns)! This is the season when more white wines and Rose's are consumed. Maintaining the proper temperature during the outdoor entertaining season doesn't have to be a hassle. We have provided some tips on
'how to keep things cold!'
(Thanks to Wine Enthusiast for some additional tips and suggestions)
- Combine ice and water in your cooler or wine bucket. Ice water provides complete contact and cools more efficiently.
- Chill well in advance: the morning of an evening party, or the night before a daytime event.
- Always have more than enough ice. Make sure to have several bags of ice available before an outdoor party!
- Make ice cubes with salt water. It has a lower freezing point than plain water, so its ice water will stay colder too. Keep them in separate, labeled bags.
- Plastic utility bins get the job done, but stainless-steel tubs are relatively inexpensive and more attractive. A well-scrubbed wheelbarrow makes a fun cooler for an informal gathering.
- It you're not concerned about appearances, a taped cardboard box lined with a large trash bag provides sturdy, watertight container.
- For a small gathering, the freezer can provide a quick chill. Set a timer for 20 minutes, however, so you don't find an exploded bottle later in the day, or the following day (speaking from experience!).
- Don't be afraid to chill reds on a hot day. Give them 20 minutes in an ice bath before serving.
Posted on Mon, June 6, 2016
by Wine Gallery