December Recipe: Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 lb of lean chuck roast, diced into 1-2" cubes, patted dry
salt & pepper to season
4 strips of bacon, diced
1 bunch of thyme (tied with cooking string)
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups red wine
1 cup beef stock
3 Tbsp tomato paste
4 carrots, chopped into 1" cubes
16 oz mushrooms (cremini or baby bella), halved
10 oz pearl onions
garnish with flat leaf parsley
1. Pat chuck roast dry. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add olive oil to the pan. Then add chuck roast and sear each side for 2-3 minutes until it is slightly browned. Put seared chuck in the slow cooker.
3. Add bacon to the skillet. Saute until browned. About 3-4 minutes. Add bacon to the slow cooker.
4. Next add onions and garlic to skillet. Saute until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add onions and garlic to slow cooker.
5. Next, add red wine to hot skillet. Using a wooden spoon, scrape all the brown bits of the bottom of the pan. Add in the beef stock and tomato paste to pan, whisk together and continue to scrape the pan until everything is removed.
6. Add bundle of thyme to slow cooker along with carrots, mushrooms, and pearl onions. Pour red wine mixture into the slow cooker. Gently stir and cover.
7. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or until meat is tender.
8. Garnish with additional thyme or flat leaf parsley.
Posted on Sun, January 14, 2018
by Tiffany Olson filed under