August Recipe: Skillet Pasta w/Summer Squash, Ricotta and Basil
Skillet Pasta w/Summer Squash, Ricotta and Basil
Summer brings lots of good things including summer squash and fresh basil. This easy dish is great for summer. Try with Au Contraire Pinot or a chilled bottle of the Chateau Maubet Gascon.
1 pound pasta (like penne and rigatoni)
2 Tbsp EVOO
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 summer squash, thinly sliced (sub zucchini if available)
1 1/2 cups halved yellow cherry tomoatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Fill a large skillet with water and salt it generously. Bring it to a boil over hight heat. Once it's boiling, add the pasta and cook according to the instructions on the package.
2. Drain the pasta and set aside, reserving 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water.
3. In the same skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
4. Add the squash and tomatoes, and cook until both are tender, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the reserved pasta water to the mixture and toss well to coat, then add the pasta and stir. Sprinkle in the Pecorino Romano and stir again to combine.
6. Dollop the ricotta on top of the pasta and garnish with basil. Serve immediately.
Posted on Tue, January 2, 2018
by Tiffany Olson filed under